OK, before we talk about the Humidity Logger, let’s get to know about humidity a bit better. Humidity — an environmental factor that has many effects on living beings and non-living things. Why should you measure humidity with a Humidity Logger? Well, in simple words; humidity is the amount of water vapor in the air. What is water vapor then? Well, water vapor is the gaseous form of water (solid, liquid, and gases are the three states of a substance.) Why should we monitor humidity with a Humidity Logger? Well, we should maintain humidity within safe limits for optimal comfort and health.
Do you know what does it mean by relative humidity? The maximum amount of water vapor that can be held by the air is 100%. Relative humidity is expressed as a percentage. In simple words, it is the amount of water vapor held by the air at a given time. You can measure this relative humidity with a humidity meter. Anyway, you can’t record humidity levels with a humidity meter, and that is why you need a Humidity Logger for this purpose. OK, let’s talk about data logging in the next few paragraphs.
How humidity affects us?
Experts have established safe limits of humidity and maintaining it within the safe limits is highly advisable for optimal comfort and good health. As mentioned, humidity has many effects on humans and non-living things too. Monitoring humidity and the temperature in warehouses, museums, offices, server rooms, and manufacturing companies is extremely important for the safety of items and machinery. For example, high humidity levels in server rooms can cause moisture damages. So, every server room should have a Humidity Logger for monitoring its humidity levels. Static electricity is another side effect of wrong humidity levels. High levels can damage antique furniture and items in a museum.
Why should we control home humidity levels?
A man’s home is his castle. Your family lives in there safely. As mentioned, wrong humidity levels can affect comfort levels in your family home. Well, homeowners don’t usually monitor humidity levels in their homes with a Humidity Logger. Anyway, if you have many antique items such as furniture; buying a Humidity Logger is a thing to consider for the safety of your precious items (a humidity meter won’t do the trick here.) When talking about humidity, we should talk about low limits and high limits. Values below or above the safe limit affect us negatively. OK, let’s talk about the low side first. Experts have established the safe limit for relative humidity as 40%-60%. When the value drops below 40%, you will experience the following side effects:
* Dry skin: When the amount of water vapor in the air drops below safe limits, your skin will release water into the surrounding air. As a result, your skin becomes dry and itchy. You can easily detect dryness by monitoring its signs. You can use a body lotion to fix the dry skin, but the issue will come back again until you bring the humidity level to accepted levels (40%-50%.)
* Chapped lips: Another common sign of low humidity levels in your home. Your lips might bleed in the worst scenario and painful. So, you can use a lip balm to keep your lips hydrated. Again, it will reoccur until you fix the cause. A Humidity Logger can monitor all the changes taking place in your home/office.
* Headache: This could happen as a result of dehydration. When the humidity level drops below the safe limits; body loses water through the skin. A headache is a common sign of dehydration.
What can you do to fix low humidity levels? As mentioned, you can monitor humidity levels with a Humidity Logger. So, from the values you get from it, you can take actions to correct the situation. For low humidity levels, do the following fixes:
1) Indoor plants: These plants can add water vapor into the air. By adding more water vapor, you can raise the relative humidity in your home/office. Compare the changes with your Humidity Logger after this fix. Adding 3-4 indoor plants is advisable for big homes.
2) Water basin fix: Heated water gets evaporated into the air. So, you can use this method to raise humidity levels in your homes. Keep water basins close to heaters and fans.
3) Spraying water with a spray bottle: Another quick way to add water vapor into the air. This cheap fix can raise humidity levels in no time. Make sure you use clean water to fill the spray bottle.
4) If none of the above-mentioned fixes work, a device called the humidifier may be the solution. This device is used for increasing the humidity in rooms or buildings. This device works faster than other options explained so far. Also, you can measure the change with the Humidity Logger. You can buy a quality humidifier for $50 today. It is a cheap device, but it can make a big difference.
How can you control the high side then? Well, same as when humidity level drop below the safe limit; high values also affect us negatively. You will start to feel warmer than the actual environmental temperature. The air is holding too much water vapor, so your body can’t cool you down by its natural cooling mechanism (sweating.) As a result, you will start to feel uncomfortably warm. Now, you should do the opposite of what you did for low humidity levels. Remove indoor plants. Don’t use a humidifier. Fix all water leaks in your house. Turn on the air conditioners and change the setting to the dry mode. Air conditioners remove excess moisture. You can monitor this change with a Humidity Logger.
Some final words
Humidity meters can be used for general applications. Anyway, if you want to monitor humidity changes; you should have a Humidity logger, which is a data logger. Temperature and humidity — both these parameters should be monitored for optimal comfort. Higher the temperature, more the water vapor the air can hold. So, if you control the temperature; you can control humidity level to some extent.
Have you experienced any of the signs explained in this article? Well, you can fix this issue by following all the tips given in this article. A humidifier is the best answer for low humidity levels. You can turn it off when the levels get corrected. If you have further troubles with humidity; hire a home inspector for a full structural inspection. A leaking roof could be the reason for high humidity levels in your house. Ventilation fans can remove excess water vapor to some extent.