As a Structural Engineer, you will have to face many challenges in the future. For now, there’s a high demand for engineers, but who knows what will happen in the future? Recently, I wrote an article about the future of the Structural Engineer, and there I explained their future challenges. The world is developing at an alarming rate now. Let’s just go back to the 40s. Us, the humans; did almost everything in those days. But now, the machines do more things than what the humans do.
We can’t let the machines to take our positions. To be in the competition, we must be innovative Structural Engineers. And the way you can do it explained here.
* Know yourself first: Know your limitations, strengths, and weaknesses. What do you want to become in the future? At what point would you like to stop? Becoming a Structural Engineer does not mean that you have to be at the same level forever. From a trainee engineer to a well-qualified one, then to a supervisor. You should know your strengths and weaknesses at the same time. People focus only on their strengths, but they ignore their weaknesses. To become a better person, you should know your weaknesses, then make them your strengths. That way, you can become an innovative Structural Engineer who improves day by day.
* Work on your creativity: Yes, the machines can solve calculations in seconds, but can they be creative than us? Innovative and creative, the both go parallelly. Improve yourself through reading, writing, and listening. Don’t waste your valuable time on useless Youtube videos. Just type “Engineering Wonders” in the search box and watch available videos. Thousands of articles are there on the Internet on improving creativity.
* If you want to move as an established Structural Engineer, then you should find an innovative partner. It could be one of the friends in the University or a senior lecturer. More and more people study to become Structural Engineers, so there will be more competition in the future. You have to have a connection with someone who can give you that push needed to get established in the engineering field. Ask for help, don’t just wait.
* Yes, you can try new things: Creativity means doing something new. You have to be a risk taker so. Anyway, you can’t ignore any engineering laws. Don’t let your creativity leads to a disaster. I mean, you can’t afford to make mistakes through your creativity. As a Structural Engineer, the decisions you take are critical, and you can’t get them wrong. Attempt a few low-risk experiments. Learn to think differently within the boundaries of engineering. Try your best to get noticed as a creative newcomer by the senior members in your workplace.
* Creativity comes with continual practice. Be an expert in designing software and computer programs. Try your best to become a modern Structural Engineer. Did you know that recruiting managers look for positive thinkers in today’s world? They like candidates who can do something different. Follow someone experienced than you in the workplace. So, he/she is your role model.
Some final words: Learn to think outside of the box. Don’t just become a Structural Engineer (be someone special in your workplace.)