Have you been searching for a top-class Structural Engineer who can make your structural-project a success? Structural Engineer is an expert who makes sure a structure will not collapse under external forces. Anyway, confirm first – which type of engineer do I need to hire? I am explaining the role of engineers who work for different areas in today’s world.
* Structural Engineer: Asses loads and stresses that the structure will have to and can withstand to stay without collapsing. Civil engineers and other professionals in the construction industry seek for advice from Structural Engineers in this case. Well, if you hire a construction company for your project, then the company will provide all the professionals for you. That is one good way to find the right Structural Engineer for your project.
* Civil engineer: Well, we can consider him as the main character in the construction industry. From design to maintenance of structures such as bridges and buildings; civil engineers play a bigger role. They work closely with Structural Engineers in every construction project.
Since I am focusing on the construction industry, I am not going to talk about software and mechanical engineers here.
Why should you hire a Structural Engineer for home inspections? It is dead simple. They are experts in finding failures in structures including your home. A home inspector can give you a report on minor structural issues such as a leaking roof, but when it comes to serious areas like the foundation; you better hire an engineer. The report produced by an engineer will help you a lot when it comes to loan and mortgage requirements. As mentioned above, cracks in the foundation of a building can cause a disaster in the near future. We can’t detect tiny cracks, but an experienced engineer can. Take it seriously because you may be on the point of investing all your money in the wrong house/building. Hiring a Structural Engineer for that critical pre-purchase inspection will cost you some money, but it will save you millions in the long run. Now, can you put a price on that?
The right way to finding an engineer: The best way to do it is by going through an engineering firm (maybe a construction company.) Or, search for Structural Engineers in your area on Google. Some engineers come for inspection as an individual. You can hire them, but make sure they are fully qualified professionals. The local council can provide you useful information in this case. They may have a list of Structural Engineers working for them.
Don’t hire an engineer who charges more or less than regular price range. Make sure his/her name is on the Chartered Professional Engineer registry. When you hire an engineer, give him the following list of things to do:
* Everything that you want him to do (inspection/report/recommendations, and so on.)
* How do you want him to perform the job.
* Be specific with what you want him to do.
* A deadline.
* A cost estimation.
Charges may vary from engineer to engineer. Fully-qualified, experienced engineers are expensive than others. Anyway, they will not charge you more than $500 for a general home inspection. As mentioned, that money you pay for him will save your life, time, and money in the long run.