The second month of the new year 2018 is almost here. What are your cybersecurity steps for 2018? You know what happened in the last year, right? Every organization or business should focus on cybersecurity, and they should consider it as a “must-to-consider.” In the past, only large-scale companies focused on the Internet security. The situation has changed now. No matter the scale, small-scale or large-scale; every business owner should invest money in improving IT system security. Well, IT Support plays a major role here.
* A security-aware culture: As mentioned, several ransomware attacks shook the world last year. Were you a victim of it? We hope not! Promoting a security-aware culture is a must-do today for enhanced security. Almost every employee in your company has access to your IT system. Not only managers and directors; all your employees also should understand the importance of cybersecurity, and your IT Support provider can train them on it. Don’t let your employees use E-mail system for their personal messaging. Did you know that almost every ransomware attack came in the form of an E-mail last year?
Just go to your E-mail account and open the junk folder. You will be surprised after seeing the number of junk E-mails you have received. Various types of viruses, malware, and ransomware are attached to such E-mails. Why do spammers keep on sending such E-mails? They know that they can trick you with such E-mails. So, the first step in improving your business’ security should start from here. Advocating for a cybersecurity culture with the help of your IT Support partner across the entire company is highly advisable so.
* Update your technology: What would happen if you fail to update the Windows operating system on your laptop/PC? Microsoft has explained potential side effects of not updating the Windows system with the latest security definitions. In simple words, your laptop or PC will be more vulnerable to virus attacks. Also, world-leading anti-virus software such as Norton and Kaspersky have programmed their security software to update automatically to stay updated on the latest security threats. All these facts suggest that keeping your IT update is an important measure for enhanced security.
Your IT Support service provider has to play a crucial role here. Hackers always look for holes in your IT system to infect it with their latest creations. Virus creators are creative people, but why don’t they make use of their knowledge for world’s development? Updating your operating system, sever, and anti-virus software is highly advisable so.
* Backup your precious data: No matter how hard you work on improving cybersecurity, a disaster can happen anytime. The last year’s ransomware attack is the best example to discuss here. World’s most developed IT systems such as the NHS of the UK got affected with ransomware last year. Who thought it would happen? We can learn a lesson from it. No matter how well you are prepared for a cyber attack, you can come across a disaster. And, that is why every top-class IT Support service provider highlights the importance of data backup.
Data backup is not saving your data on an external hard drive. The cloud is the best option you got in this 21st century. Data backup comes with several benefits such as quick recovery after a ransomware attack.
As a business owner, you can’t afford to spend months on recovering from a ransomware attack. Would your clients wait for you or go after another company? Don’t keep them waiting for long. Instead, backup your precious data with the help of a reliable IT Support partner, and prepare yourself in advance for a quick recovery.
* Admin access: No employee should have access to the IT system up to admin level. Don’t give passwords to your employees for admin access to the system. Access to the system up to as-needed basis is more than enough here. If you don’t know how to change the setting to block admin access from your employee; ask your IT Support company to do it for you.
* Firewall and anti-virus software: An outdated firewall or anti-virus software cannot you protect you from the latest viruses and ransomware. What is a firewall? OK, the firewall is your first defense from hackers. Anyway, the firewall cannot protect your system from hackers 100%. It offers moderate security. We can consider it as a net that filters content.
Modern anti-virus and anti-malware software can offer greater protection from day-to-day virus attacks. Discuss with your IT Support company and choose the best anti-virus and anti-malware software for your business. A quick tip: managed firewall solutions offer the highest level of security.
* Password-protected: People don’t create strong passwords that cannot be guessed by hackers. You will benefit from reading this post (https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/32040?hl=en.) All mobile devices, laptops, PCs, and Wi-Fi-network should be password-protected for enhanced security. Experts in the IT Support industry have set the maximum duration that you can keep a password without updating (90 days.) A quick tip: you can change the password quite often, but make sure you remember it. Don’t write down the passwords on papers or save in a digital format such as in E-mail draft.
* Keep an eye on your employees: Your employees are your biggest asset, but you can’t trust them 100% today. As mentioned, don’t give them access to the system up to admin level. Also, don’t let them connect to the Wi-Fi-network with their mobile devices.
Some final words: IT Support providers can help you with raising cybersecurity within your organization. Such service providers offer reliable backup services to help you recover from a disaster. As a business owner, you may not know about cybersecurity from A to Z. Should you have any questions about IT security; contact us today. Threat intelligence is what keeps you safe from hackers and viruses.
How much should you invest in enhanced IT security? A ransomware attack can cost you millions in the worst scenario. So, would you invest big money in IT security or waste millions on recovering from a ransomware attack? We know that you will go with the first option. Explain to your employees the importance of updating their knowledge on the latest security threats to prevent disasters. Did you find this article helpful? Leave a comment then!